10/24/10

A Recipe To Share

When we have even a slight cool down here in Arizona, I start pulling out our favorite recipes for soups, stews & chili.  The current cool down is into the 80's, which isn't cool to most; but when you've lived through the summer here & experience 115 or higher, 80 requires a sweater!  Anyway, I love cooking all the time, but more so in the fall & winter.  This recipe has become one of our favorites & I can't remember where I got it.  I guess I've tweaked it enough that I can probably call it my own.

Meatball Stew
Serves 4
Slow-cook 3 1/2 hours on high, or 5 hours on low


You can make your favorite recipe for beef meatballs if you like, but I use frozen turkey meatballs that I get from Costco.  FYI -- I use turkey in place of beef almost exclusively.  For this recipe, I use 3 meatballs per serving, but for heartier eaters, you might want to add a few more.

Add to pot:
1 bag (16 oz) baby carrots
3 or 4 large parsnips, cut into 1" long pieces
1 med.-size onion, chopped

Top with the meatballs (if using frozen, no need to thaw)

Mix together:
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup beef broth (or chicken or vegetable broth)
1 1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
Drizzle over the meat & vegetables

Cook as directed above or until parsnips are tender.

Stir together:
1/4 tsp. each salt & pepper
1 T. parsley
1/4 cup ketchup
1 T. broth
1 T. cornstarch
Gently stir into slow cooker.  Cook until thickened, 5 minutes.

My Southern upbringing comes out when I make something like this & I have to make cornbread to go with.  This is a super easy and healthy meal.

Hope you give it a try.  It smells so good while it's cooking.

Thanks for stopping by, & I hope you come back soon.
Carol

2 comments:

  1. Yum! My guys love those prefab Italian meatballs from Sam's and it's cold and drizzling rain in NC today. Perfect weather for this. But, what exactly is a parsnip? I'm embarrassed to say I haven't a clue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I feel so much better! I had never had a parsnip until I made this recipe the first time. They come in a pkg. like carrots, and they look like carrots except they are white or cream. The flavor is very tasty & kind of like turnips/rutabagas. My DH had never had them either but liked them. You really don't have to be restrictive with this dish. You could add a few potatoes or other vegetables of your liking. Hope you enjoy.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to hear from you and try to respond to each and everyone. If you have "no reply blogger," I will respond in my comments section and then visit your blog as soon as I can.

Make this a great day!
Carol

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...